BSP in a week service
Historically it's always taken months to put together a Board Support
Package that is reliable and maintainable. However the rules of the
game have changed. Using Linux Target Image
and our expertise
we can do just that provided you already have some of the ingredients.
What's the process?
You need to provide the following:
- A cross compiler for your target (gcc toolchain)
- Working kernel source (normally a patch against a kernel.org release)
- A kernel configuration for your target
We will then:
- Confirm by email a few details (such as target name etc)
- Add your new target platform to LTIB
Within a week of project start, we will send you your new BSP to try
out on your target.
Questions and answers:
- What if I don't have a cross toolchain?
It depends, often there may be something we have or know of that may
be usable. We would need to discuss the implications with you before
proceeding. If agreed we'd proceed, however this would increase the
timescale and cost to some extent.
If a completely new toolchain build is required, that would have to be
discussed and potentially handled under a separate consultancy contract.
- What if I don't have the kernel source/patch/configuration files?
We would need to discuss a separate consultancy contract.
- Can you do board testing in addition to providing the BSP?
Yes, but this would be at additional cost and you would need to
supply the board (which we can return). This is probably a good idea
as we have an extensive automated test system that we can apply to
- What about maintenance and updates
We can provide a support contract to do this. Alternatively you
may find that you are able to do this yourself. Remember the underlying
builder is LTIB, which is open-source and has a public mailing list
where you can get help.
- Do I have to put my new target on the public LTIB site
No, not unless you want to. If you like you can just distribute ISO images
to your customers (if made with LTIB they include all the sources).
However, unless you have a reason to keep your BSP private, we recommend
having it included on the public LTIB list. This will not only mean it
gets any routine maintenance updates (for free), but it also allows
you a means of distributing and updating your BSP at no cost.
- Great, I'm convinced, what does it cost and how to I get rolling?
After you contact us by email (using the contact link) we will discuss the
feasibility of your project and if accepted give you a quote for the work.
The cost will be based on one weeks effort at our consultancy rate.